After a grueling battle trying to compile GIT from source on an AIX (6.1) machine, I thought I would try to save you some trouble and outline clearly what I had to do. Please note I initially followed this guide, which gave me a good base, but I had to throw in a few extra tweaks.
My suggestion, just put them all in a folder and run “rpm -i -v *” in the directory.
Now that all dependencies are met (hopefully), we can go ahead and grab the GIT source from here. I simply downloaded this, SCP-ed it to my machine and ran “unzip *.zip” on the file.
cd into the git directory and “vi Makefile” in order to change a few things in the make instructions. Here are the changes I made:
CC = /opt/freeware/bin/gcc
AR = ar
RM = rm -f
DIFF = diff
TAR = /usr/bin/tar
FIND = find
INSTALL = /usr/linux/bin/install
Please don’t blindly follow these changes. Change these values to the corresponding directory. You can get this information by running “whereis” or “which” on each utility.
The final step is the command. Since I don’t have X installed and don’t want any GUI options, I modified my install command to eleviate some of the extra dependencies that I didn’t want to install.
“gmake NO_CURL=1 NO_FNMATCH_CASEFOLD=1 NO_MSGFMT=1 NO_TCLTK=1 install prefix=/opt/freeware”
This turns off things like curl, fixes my issues with fnmatch and turns off tc. It also installs GIT to /opt/freeware.
Hope you all enjoy and things go smoothly. If not, post any problems or questions here.